What are my fair housing rights?

The Fair Housing Act is a federal law that makes it illegal to deny housing, refuse to rent, sell, negotiate, or offer different terms and conditions because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, familial status, or disability. The City of Garland is one of only five fair Housing Agencies in Texas that has a Fair Housing Ordinance, which is 'substantially equivalent' to the federal act. The Garland Fair Housing Ordinance has included Age as a protected class to protect the rights of the large and growing senior population in Garland.

Garland Fair Housing Ordinance

It is the policy of the City of Garland, through fair, orderly, and lawful procedures, to promote the opportunity for each person to obtain housing without regard to race, color, sex, religion, handicap, familial status, age, or national origin. This policy is grounded upon a recognition of the rights of every person to have access to adequate housing of the person's own choice, and the denial of this right because of race, color, sex, religion, handicap, familial status, age, or national origin is detrimental to the health, safety, and welfare of the inhabitants of the City and constitutes an unjust deprivation of rights, which is within the power and proper responsibility of government to prevent.

Garland Fair Housing Services investigates claims of discrimination in housing based upon a protected class. Any person that feels they have been discriminated against in their pursuit of safe, sufficient housing of their choosing has the right to file a Fair Housing Complaint. If the property is in Garland, you can contact Garland Fair Housing Services at 972-205-3300. For properties outside of Garland, call Housing and Urban Development Fair Housing at 817-978-5912.

If You Think Your Rights Have Been Violated

Fair Housing Services is ready to help with any problem of housing discrimination. If you think your rights have been violated, the Housing Discrimination Complaint Form is available for you to download, complete and return, or complete online and submit, or you may call 972-205-3300. You have one year after an alleged violation to file a complaint with Housing and Urban Development, but you should file it as soon as possible. You may also visit the Housing and Urban Development Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity Office, Fair Housing First, and Dallas Fair Housing Office websites for more information.

Show All Answers

1. What is fair housing?
2. What practices are protected under the law?
3. What if I've been discriminated against?
4. What does housing discrimination look like?
5. What can housing discrimination feel like?
6. What can you do about housing discrimination?
7. What are my fair housing rights?
8. What should I know about predatory lending?
9. Where can I find more basic facts about the Fair Housing Act?